- Press Samples -
I know a lot of you out there like reading and watching reviews all about new drugstore beauty items. And today I'm here to please because that's exactly what I have for you. Influenster sent me Maybelline's latest foundation, Maybelline Superstay Better Skin, to test out as part of the #BetterSkinChallenge. As part of that challenge, I had to test out the foundation every day for three weeks so I could report my experience.
Well ladies and gents, the three weeks are up and I've got stuff to tell you.
Let's discuss the foundation's claims:
- Long wearing formula that improves skin's appearance every minute you use it
- After three weeks you should see reduced spots, dullness and unevenness for brighter skin that is stress free (thanks to the antioxidant power of ingredients Actyl-C and Vitamin C)
- Provides medium to full coverage
A few more things you may want to know:
- The foundation retail price on Maybelline's site is $11.99, but it says prices will vary. I have seen it at Target for $9.99 so my best advice is to shop around.
- It comes in a pump bottle for easy dispensing and to keep things hygienic
- Available in 12 shades (I'm shade 25 Natural Beige)
- Oil-free formula
After using this for three weeks here's what I can tell you:
The foundation has a medium consistency. It's not runny and serum-thin, but it's also not thick like a lot of long wear formulas. This sits comfortably in the middle. It blends easily and doesn't feel heavy on your skin.
Maybelline Superstay Better Skin Foundation Shade 25 Natural Beige
I wore the foundation every day anywhere from six to 12 hours per day during a super rainy, muggy, and hot time of year down here in Florida. Everything melts off in this weather so the foundation had its work cut out for it. Let's break down my findings:
- On its own (foundation and powder, no primer or setting/finishing spray) the foundation lasted throughout the day but with breakdown in my oiliest areas
- With primer and setting/finishing spray I got much better performance with significantly less oiliness breaking through. I still experienced a little breakdown in my oiliest areas but it was significantly reduced.
- To the naked eye, I didn't really notice much skin improvement. But after three weeks I was using a lot less foundation so I'm thinking some improvements must have transpired
I love the light weight feel, coverage and longevity of the foundation. However, I wish it had a bit more mattifying power. Considering the extreme heat and humidity, I was still really impressed with how the foundation performed. I was expecting total product breakdown, but I was impressed to find that product breakdown experienced only occurred in specific areas where I was extra oily. If you have oily skin, you'll still need your blotting papers and be sure not to skip primer and setting spray to get the best results. What can you do? Oily skin will be oily.
If you're looking for miracle skin improvements, you'll be disappointed. And honestly, if those are your expectations, it's time to visit the doctor. Prescription strength stuff might deliver the results you're seeking. While I didn't see noticeable changes to my skin, the fact that I used less product as time passed indicates some improvement did happen.
Now that you've seen the review and the product in action, what do you think of Maybelline's latest foundation?
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”